Go Search Go Contents Go to bottom site map

Telecom ministry starts probe on KT hacking

2014/03/07 08:12

SEOUL, March 7 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's telecom ministry said Friday it will launch an investigation on the latest hacking incident at KT Corp. in which millions of customers' personal data were leaked.

The Incheon Metropolitan Police Agency said on Thursday it arrested three suspects for allegedly hacking into the company's website and stealing data of some 12 million clients of the mobile carrier.

The Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning said it will establish a team of government officials and online security specialists to find out the details of the incident with the cooperation of the Korea Communications Commission.

According to the police, the leaked data includes the victims' names, resident registration numbers and bank account information. The bigger shock was that the culprits had been hacking the company for a year, since February 2013, gathering up to 300,000 pieces of information in a single day.

The ministry ordered KT to provide victims with details and backgrounds of the incident and establish a system on its website to allow users to check if their information was included in the hacked data.

The ministry said it will operate an around-the-clock service center to receive reports on damages incurred from the leakage and warned users to be aware of calls and texts that impersonate KT.

colin@yna.co.kr

(END)