Go Search Go Contents Go to bottom site map

Samsung said to halt supply of Galaxy Note 7

2016/08/31 17:44

SEOUL, Aug. 31 (Yonhap) -- Samsung Electronics Co. has halted deliveries of its flagship Galaxy Note 7 phablet to South Korean mobile carriers amid a series of reports at home and abroad that a few of the devices were "exploding" while they were being charged, industry officials said Wednesday.

The stoppage of Galaxy Note 7 deliveries to the three mobile carriers -- SK Telecom Co., KT Corp. and LG Uplus Corp. -- began earlier this week, according to officials at the mobile carriers.

An official at Samsung Electronics neither confirmed nor denied that the deliveries of the latest Galaxy Note phablet were halted.

"We are checking whether the deliveries were halted or not," the Samsung official said.

Samsung began selling the Galaxy Note 7 on Aug. 19.

Since Aug. 24, there have been a total of 5 claims at home and abroad that the devices "exploded" while charging.

Photos posted on Internet community websites and social networking sites show the remains of what appear to be burned-out Galaxy Note 7 phablets.

There has been speculation that Samsung may have halted the deliveries because of an inspection after reports of explosions.

An official at a local mobile carrier said sales of the Galaxy Note 7 had run into a snag as Samsung had halted deliveries without explanation.

Since Aug. 19, about 400,000 units of the Galaxy Note 7 are said to have been sold in South Korea.

kdh@yna.co.kr

(END)

angloinfo.com