select languages
fullstory_title
sns RSS mobile twitter
weather
mostview_topstock
mostview_bottom
latestnewslatestnews RSS
Full story
Home > Full story
Carter has no immediate plans for N. Korea trip: officials
WASHINGTON, July 29 (Yonhap) -- Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter has no plans to visit North Korea at least for now, U.S. officials and his aides said Monday, refuting media reports that he may go there again on a mission to get a Korean-American man imprisoned in the communist nation for nearly nine months.

   Speculation has grown that Carter's trip to Pyongyang may be imminent since he met with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry in Washington last week.

   "North Korea ...was one of the topics that was discussed, " State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said at a press briefing. "And certainly he didn't indicate he was going at the time because it sounds like he didn't have plans to go."

   Psaki also said she is not aware of any plans for the U.S. government to send a special envoy to North Korea for talks on the release of Kenneth Bae convicted by North Korea of unspecified hostile acts against the regime. He was caught in November.

   In an emailed reply, the Carter Center also said he has no immediate plans to travel to North Korea.

   lcd@yna.co.kr
leechidong@gmail.com
(END)
HOMEtop