Home National Politics/Diplomacy
Politics/Diplomacy
Twitter Send 2010/04/15 10:58 KST
Child rape victims won't have to appear in court: prosecution


By Kim Eun-jung
SEOUL, April 15 (Yonhap) -- Child victims of rape will not have to appear in court when their suspected attacker is tried, and prosecutors will be allowed to submit videotaped testimony from victims as evidence, officials said Thursday.

   All district prosecution offices have been notified of the new legal guidelines, which are meant to protect the young victims from having to face their attacker and give an open testimony at trials.

   The National Assembly last month passed a package of bills requiring heavier punishment for sex crimes against minors, following a series of gruesome rape and murder cases involving young girls, including a 13-year-old who was allegedly killed by a convicted rapist left unsupervised after his release.

   The new guidelines allow the prosecution to submit as official evidence videotapes of the victims giving their testimony instead of demanding a written statement.

   The prosecution will meet the victims at their home to get the testimony if requested, officials said.

   ejkim@yna.co.kr
(END)