By Sam Kim and Lee Haye-ah
SEOUL, Nov. 22 (Yonhap) -- South Korea and the United States struggled Monday to restore confidence in their hard stand against North Korea after the communist state unveiled what may be its most menacing nuclear facility and jolted the region into a state of alarm.
The North told a visiting Stanford University professor, Siegfried Hecker, earlier this month that it had developed a uranium enrichment facility equipped with about 2,000 centrifuges.Wi Sung-lac (L), South Korea's chief nuclear envoy to the six-party talks on ending North Korea's nuclear ambitions, and the U.S. special envoy on North Korea, Stephen Bosworth, meet at a Seoul hotel on Nov. 22 to discuss issues involving the communist country's alleged operational uranium enrichment plant. The U.S. official will also visit Japan and China prior to his return to the U.S. on Nov. 24. (Yonhap)
The revelation, one of the most sensational after a North Korean official admitted to a clandestine uranium program in 2002, came as Pyongyang bolstered its call for the resumption of six-party talks designed to denuclearize the country through aid.
Centrifuges, which Hecker said the North operated from an "ultra-modern control room," can be used to produce highly enriched uranium, an additional means of nuclear arms development for North Korea, which has already tested two plutonium-based bombs.
Uranium-based bombs pose a serious threat as their development process cannot be easily detected while they are considered easier to transport, aggravating proliferation concerns.
North Korea told Hecker that it was enriching uranium to meet its peaceful energy needs, but senior U.S. officials, including Defense Secretary Robert Gates, have rejected the claim as false.
"This is obviously a disappointing announcement," Stephen Bosworth, the top U.S. point man on North Korea, told reporters Monday in Seoul, referring to the North Korean claim. "It is also another in a series of provocative moves."
"That being said, this is not a crisis. We're not surprised by this," Bosworth said, having met with South Korean Foreign Minister Kim Sung-hwan. "We have been watching and analyzing the (North's) aspirations to produce enriched uranium for some time."
Defending the U.S. goal of pressuring the North into taking dismantlement steps before reopening the six-party talks, stalled since late 2008, Bosworth said he "would not accept that our policy toward North Korea is a failure."
"We're not throwing our policy away," he said, pledging to "refine" approaches to North Korea because "we can't just ignore" the purported uranium program made public over the weekend.
"We have to incorporate this now into our strategy as we move forward," said the envoy, who arrived Sunday night here as part of a hurriedly arranged three-nation Asian swing.
Bosworth, set to travel to Tokyo and Beijing, said it is "fundamental we deal with this in close coordination with major countries," hoping for the eventual resumption of six-party talks.
"We have hope that we will be able to resuscitate it," he told reporters, referring to the negotiations that include the two Koreas, the U.S., Russia, Japan and China.
"My crystal ball is foggy, but I would never declare any process dead. It's still breathing," Bosworth said.
A senior South Korean diplomat, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told reporters separately that his government was seeing the purported uranium enrichment activities as "real."
"It seems the situation must be accepted as is, and I believe it has become an issue we now have to deal with," he said, agreeing with Bosworth that the allies will not backtrack from their push for Pyongyang to show denuclearization steps before holding dialogue.
Bosworth made it clear earlier that the Seoul-Washington side wants the six-party talks to "take place under a proper set of conditions and in close coordination with our partners."
South Korean officials have previously called on the North to allow international nuclear monitors back on its soil and move ahead with denuclearization steps agreed upon in a six-nation deal before the six-party talks can resume.
"It is fundamental that the North Koreans demonstrate that they approach the dialogue and the discussions in the negotiations with that same measure of seriousness and willingness to actually take hard decisions," Bosworth said.
The revelation of a uranium enrichment facility, located in Yongbyon north of Pyongyang, came after American security expert Jack Pritchard said the North has begun to build a light-water nuclear reactor, which uses low-enriched uranium as fuel.
A series of commercial satellite images released in the past week through the U.S.-based Institute for Science and International Security backs the claims of uranium activities in the North.
An image taken on Nov. 4 by DigitalGlobe shows that North Korea is laying the foundation for what it calls an experimental light-water reactor in Yongbyon. Another image unveiled on Monday showed a blue-roof building that Hecker said contained "hundreds and hundreds" of centrifuges.
The development of a highly sophisticated enrichment facility, if confirmed, could cast doubts on the policy of South Korea and the U.S., which sought to shut off any flow of supplies related to weapons of mass destruction into the North.
Bosworth and the South Korean official said their countries had no immediate plan to expand the raft of sanctions against North Korea, even though they denounced Pyongyang for violating a United Nations Security Council resolution against its nuclear testing.
Just three years after it conducted its first atomic test, North Korea detonated another device underground in May last year. South Korean intelligence officials believe the North had also begun its hereditary power transition in earnest since at least early 2009.
It remains unclear how the succession process from leader Kim Jong-il to his third son Kim Jong-un, believed to be no older than 28, would bear on the expanding nuclear activities in North Korea.
The regime has ratcheted up its focus on the songun, or military-first, policy charted by the senior Kim since the junior was unveiled to the world in September as a full military general.
Japanese media reported last week that signs of preparations for another nuclear test were detected, but South Korean officials have dismissed them as lacking substance.
The series of developments on the peninsula comes as tension remains high between the two Koreas over the March sinking of a South Korean warship near their tense Yellow Sea border.
Forty-six sailors died in the sinking that Seoul blames on a North Korean torpedo. Pyongyang maintains its vehement denial of involvement, offering to give a torpedo part sample to challenge a multinational probe that found the North culpable in May.
- Successful hosting of G-20 summit boosts Korea's global leadership
- Global leaders set financial reform drive in motion
- (G20) G-20 makes meaningful gain on current account imbalance
- Global forum awakens sense of pride, but not for all
- 'Korea Initiative' gives momentum to emerging states
- S. Korea-U.S. military ties grow stronger amid threats of N. Korea's potential instability
- President Lee prioritizes stability over change in picking premier
- Fairness being revisited under Lee's justice drive
- Fresh U.S. sanctions symbolic, but impact in doubt: analysts
- Failure in verification of Cabinet nominees deals blow to president, ruling bloc
- Confirmation hearings raise more suspicions, divide political parties
- Lee's speech hints at no change in N. Korea policy
- Debate heats up over unification tax
- Japan steps forward with apology in effort to resolve bad blood with S. Korea: analysts
- Prime minister-designate put to test before presidential race
- Lee seeks generational shift, national unity through Cabinet shake-up
- River restoration project gains some traction, but not enough
- S. Korea in dilemma amid U.S. pressure over Iran sanctions
- DP enters new phase after leaders resign
Home > National > Politics/Diplomacy