select languages
National_titlePolitics/DiplomacySocietylmenu_bottom
latestnewslatestnews RSS
Politics/Diplomacy
Home > National > Politics/Diplomacy
(LEAD) Two civilians found dead on S. Korean island shelled by N. Korea
INCHEON, Nov. 24 (Yonhap) -- Two civilians were found dead Wednesday on a front-line South Korean island devastated by a North Korean artillery attack, the first civilian deaths recorded from the bombing, the coast guard said.

   Marines and police found the bodies at a construction site of a marine corps base on Yeonpyeong Island, the coast guard said.

   The deceased were identified as Kim Chi-baek, 61, and Bae Bok-chul, 60, both of whom were contracted to build a residential building at the marine corps base, it said, adding that their bodies were burned beyond recognition.

   Kim and Bae were employed by a construction company based in Incheon.

   Their deaths brought the number of victims in Tuesday's attack to four, including two marines. Eighteen others, including three civilians, were wounded.

   On Tuesday, North Korea fired some 170 rounds of artillery, about 80 of them landing on the island and the others in nearby waters, according to South Korea's defense ministry.

   The South returned fire, shooting some 80 rounds toward coastal artillery bases in the North.

   The attack marked the first time North Korea has shelled South Korean soil and civilian areas since the 1950-53 Korean War. Pyongyang's provocations had so far been limited to maritime skirmishes or gunfights across their heavily armed border.

  (END)