select languages
National_titlePolitics/DiplomacySocietylmenu_bottom
latestnewslatestnews RSS
Politics/Diplomacy
Home > National > Politics/Diplomacy
(LEAD) S. Korea won't hold artillery drill Tuesday on Yeonpyeong Island
(ATTN: UPDATES with details)
SEOUL, Nov. 29 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's military said Monday it won't hold a live-ammunition artillery drill Tuesday as was announced in error on a border island devastated by a North Korean attack last week.

   Residents on Yeonpyeong Island were told by a military unit there over loudspeakers on Monday to move to bomb shelters prior to Tuesday's drill, but officials at the South's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said the warning was "mistakenly" aired.

   "The artillery firing drill had been originally planned as part of annual exercises, but a local military unit mistakenly aired the warning," said Col. Lee Bung-woo, a JCS spokesman. "The live-fire drill won't be held tomorrow."

   Earlier in the day, the military unit on Yeonpyeong aired the warning via loudspeakers, advising residents to take to shelters before the live-fire drill was set to begin at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday.

   North Korea bombarded Yeonpyeong on Tuesday, killing two marines and as many civilians.

   At least 18 others, mostly soldiers, were injured by the North's shelling, marking the first civilian deaths on South Korean soil by an assault from North Korea since the 1950-53 Korean War.
The front-line island of Yeonpyeong, which lies just 20 kilometers south of the Yellow Sea border, is home to about 1,400 civilians and 300 marines. Most of the residents fled the island after the North's attack.

   kdh@yna.co.kr
(END)