select languages
National_titlePolitics/DiplomacySocietylmenu_bottom
latestnewslatestnews RSS
Politics/Diplomacy
Home > National > Politics/Diplomacy
Koreas agree to hold working-level military talks on Feb. 8
SEOUL, Feb. 1 (Yonhap) -- South and North Korea agreed to hold working-level military talks on Feb. 8, officials said, in what would be their first dialogue since the North's deadly artillery attack of a border island last November.

   North Korea sent a notice to the South's defense ministry earlier in the day, proposing the new date for the preliminary talks and the South accepted it in a reply message, ministry officials said.

   "Both sides also agreed that the working-level military talks will involve colonel-level officers from the two sides," an official said. The talks will be held at the border truce village of Panmunjom separating the two Koreas.

   The meeting is aimed at setting the date, place and agenda for higher-level military talks.

   Tensions persist on the Korean Peninsula after the North's artillery strike on Yeonpyeong Island killed two marines and two civilians. The bombardment came months after a multinational investigation accused North Korea of torpedoing a South Korean warship and killing 46 sailors last March.

   kdh@yna.co.kr
(END)