SEOUL, April 9 (Yonhap) -- Apparently growing impatient with South Korea's lukewarm response to its dialogue offer, North Korea announced Friday that it could terminate an exclusive contract with a South Korean conglomerate for tourism at Mount Kumgang, a resort along its east coast.
In a statement carried by the official news agency KCNA, the Asia Pacific Peace Committee, a state organ in charge of inter-Korean relations, said, "There is no more prospect of resuming the tour of Mount Kumgang."
"In this regard it informed the Hyundai side of its stand that it may terminate the validity of the provision of the agreement on tour of Mount Kumgang signed with the Hyundai side which calls for granting it monopoly over the tour," it said, referring to Hyundai Asan, the South Korean operator of Mount Kumgang tourism program.
The statement also added Hyundai could continue conducting tours for South Koreans but that Pyongyang "may" take charge of tours to Mount Kumgang and elsewhere for North Koreans and also entrust an overseas business professional with such tours.
South Koreans' tours to Mount Kumgang, once a cash cow for the impoverished North, have been suspended since the summer of 2008, when a female South Korean tourist was shot dead after straying into an off-limits military zone.
Pyongyang has been seeking to resume the joint venture, but Seoul has demanded a formal apology for the killing of the housewife, along with measures to prevent a recurrence of such an incident and a guarantee of tourists' safety.
Friday's announcement was viewed as aimed at putting pressure on the South to restart the tourism business.
Hyundai Asan said it was working to identify North Korea's true intentions.
"The company is working to find out at the earliest possible date what the North's true intentions are," a Hyundai Asan official said, asking not to be identified.
North Korea froze Hyundai Asan's assets at Mount Kumgang last year in an apparent attempt to pressure South Korea to resume tours to the mountain, a spiritual destination for Koreans on both sides of the border.
After years of threats and provocative acts, highlighted by two deadly attacks in 2010, Pyongyang has been appealing to Seoul for talks. Conservatives here say the North wants aid from the South and a dialogue with the United States.
(END)
- Japan stands more to lose than gain from textbook dispute: analysts
- Gov't in dilemma over new airport plan ahead of crucial elections
- Ethnic Koreans from China grow resentful over discrimination in homeland
- S. Korea's Incheon keeps No. 1 airport title for sixth year
- One year after N. Korea's warship attack, Seoul reinforces military posture
- Grim job prospects spark clash between old, new legal hiring systems
- After 3 turbulent years in office, Lee braces for another rough ride
- S. Korea says N.K.'s apology essential, but cautious about calling it precondition
- Entry of new cable broadcasters heralds media big bang

Home > National > Politics/Diplomacy
(2nd LD) N. Korea threatens to revoke exclusive contract with Hyundai on Mount Kumgang tours




















