SEOUL, Dec. 19 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) on Monday placed all military units on emergency alert following the news of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il's death.
The JCS said it called an emergency meeting of officials handling crisis management and operations just after noon Monday, after the North Korean media reported Kim's death.
The JCS said it has increased its monitoring activities along the border along with the South Korea-U.S. Combined Forces Command. No unusual activity had been observed from the North, officials said.
Officials said they may raise the "Defcon," a five-stage combat alert level, from its current level of four to three.
- Football governing body criticized for handling of coach's firing
- New TV channels launched amid expectations and concerns
- Lee accelerates bid to boost cooperation with Southeast Asia
- Lee's state visit to U.S. a celebration of ever-strengthening alliance
- Lee wins Olympics, African foothold during 10-day summit diplomacy
- Lee's tireless behind-the-scenes campaign for PyeongChang bears big fruit
- President, opposition leader meet, with little progress
- Lee tightening discipline in officialdom amid series of corruption cases
- Row simmering over role of SNS in S. Korea
Home > National > Politics/Diplomacy