select languages
National_titlePolitics/DiplomacySocietylmenu_bottom
latestnewslatestnews RSS
Politics/Diplomacy
Home > National > Politics/Diplomacy
FM apologizes for pursuing military pact with Japan without people's support
SEOUL, July 2 (Yonhap) -- South Korean Foreign Minister Kim Sung-hwan apologized to the nation Monday for pursuing a landmark military pact with Japan without making enough efforts to win people's support for the agreement with the former colonial ruler.

   "I sincerely apologize to our people for failing to smoothly proceed with the planned signing of a military agreement with Japan," Kim told reporters, three days after abruptly delaying the signing of the pact amid mounting political and public uproar in South Korea.

   "I humbly accept criticism that our ministry didn't make efforts to seek people's understanding and support for the pact," Kim said.

  



On Friday, South Korea postponed the signing of the intelligence-sharing pact with Japan, about an hour before the two nations were scheduled to formally sign the pact in Tokyo, in an unprecedented diplomatic embarrassment for both nations.

   The abrupt delay of the signing underscored how delicate the issue of military cooperation with Japan is in South Korea. Many Koreans still harbor deep resentment toward Japan because of its brutal colonial rule between 1910 and 1945.

   A series of disputes over history and territorial issues stemming from the colonial rule have plagued relations between the two countries for decades, but Seoul and Tokyo have agreed on the need to expand cooperation in the defense sector in the face of increasing military threats from North Korea and the rise of China.

   The pact, named the General Security of Military Information Agreement (GSOMIA), allows Seoul and Tokyo to exchange delicate military intelligence on North Korea's nuclear and missile programs as well as information about China, Seoul officials said earlier.

   Rep. Lee Hae-chan, leader of the main opposition Democratic United Party (DUP), has called on the foreign minister to be held responsible for mishandling the planned signing of the pact with Japan.

   Kim sidestepped the DUP's claim that he should be held accountable.

   Asked whether he would resign over the mishandling of the pact with Japan, Kim replied, "As the opposition party is said to be considering raising the issue of who should be held responsible, let's talk about the issue once they make a decision."

   "I am now trying to seek the people's understanding and parliamentary support," Kim said.

   Although prospects for the pact with Japan become uncertain as South Korea is heading for a presidential election in December, Kim said he will make efforts to formally sign the pact.

   "The pact is needed for our national interest," Kim said.

   Asked whether he would scrap the pact if the National Assembly objects to it, Kim said, "I will not speculate. What's needed now is to make efforts."

   Earlier in the day, the foreign minister told a meeting of senior ministry officials that his ministry would press ahead with the pact with Japan after winning parliamentary support.

   Clarifying the remarks, Kim said, "Our ministry will push ahead with the pact with Japan only if the National Assembly understands and people support it."

   Kim also instructed officials not to lay the blame for pursuing the pact on other ministries or the presidential office.

   "It is not good for the ministry to lay the responsibility on another ministry or another side," Kim said.

   kdh@yna.co.kr
(END)
HOMEtop