By Lee Chi-dong
WASHINGTON, Oct. 7 (Yonhap) -- The White House sought Sunday to limit the impact of a new missile deal with South Korea to its global nonproliferation efforts and regional security conditions in which China plays a growing role.
"The ROK's new missile guidelines are designed to improve the Republic of Korea's ability to defend against DPRK ballistic missiles," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters. "The revisions are a prudent, proportional and specific response to the DPRK."
The ROK stands for South Korea's official name, the Republic of Korea, and North Korea's initialization is DPRK, meaning the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
Carney was responding to a reporter's question as to the South Korean presidential office's announcement hours earlier that Washington has agreed to allow Seoul to develop ballistic missiles with a range of up to 800 kilometers, more than double the current limit of 300km.
It marks the first deal of its kind between the allies in a decade, but the payload cap will remain unchanged at 500kg.
The U.S. government has not made a separate announcement on the missile range agreement. Carney's comments during a routine press briefing were the only formal statement.
South Korea's conservative Lee Myung-bak administration has been pushing to bolster the country's missile capability to counter North Korea's threats.
"As partners whose alliance is a linchpin of stability in northeast Asia, we take seriously our mission of maintaining stability on the Korean Peninsula and in the region," Carney said. "The United States remains firmly committed to our alliance and to the defense of the Republic of Korea. In this context, we have been in discussions with the Republic of Korea, at its request, on ways to address the threat posed by DPRK ballistic missiles."
It's an open secret that the U.S. had been reluctant to let South Korea sharply increase its ballistic missile range out of concern for a negative effect to its nonproliferation campaign.
The U.S. does not want to antagonize China either.
Under the newly agreed guidelines, South Korea's ballistic missiles will be capable of not only covering all the North Korean regions but also reaching Beijing.
A diplomatic source here said the Obama administration faced a tough choice to accept Seoul's constant request due to the importance of maintaining a robust bilateral alliance.
It is a long-overdue reaction to North Korea's continued provocations such as deadly attacks on the South and long-range missile tests, added the source.
The Chinese government has not issued any immediate response to the news.
China's state news agency, Xinhua, carried articles on the Seoul-Washington move, saying it "runs counter to a global arms control agreement known as the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR)."
In 2001, South Korea joined the MTCR, an informal and voluntary partnership among 34 countries to prevent the proliferation of missile and unmanned aerial vehicle technology capable of delivering weapons of mass destruction.
lcd@yna.co.kr
leechidong@gmail.com
(END)
- Special investigation unlikely to have big effect on presidential vote
- Ahn Cheol-soo's bid transforms presidential election into 3-way race
- Political bickering intensifies over Park's defense of father's legacy
- Turbulence ahead for S. Korea's fighter jet purchase
- S. Korea's presidential race dominated by uncertainty, call for change
- Japan under fire for denying responsibility for wartime sexual enslavement
- U.S. jury verdict may stall Samsung's smartphone ambition
- Park Geun-hye faces tough challenges in run-up to Dec. 19 polls
- S. Korea, Japan on collision course again over historical issues
- Lee's surprise visit to Dokdo raises tensions with Japan
- 'Global Korea' pitch hit by human trafficking record
- Past legacy helps and hinders Park's bid for first female president
- Lee champions free trade, green growth during Latin American swing
- Big morale-booster for 'Queen of Elections' in S. Korean polls
- N. Korea loses more than gains from rocket gambit
- Seoul meeting a rehearsal for tougher diplomacy on N. Korea's rocket launch
- Rival parties heating up campaign for April's general elections
- Lee faces full plate of tough issues in final year in office
- Lee wins Olympics, African foothold during 10-day summit diplomacy
- Lee's tireless behind-the-scenes campaign for PyeongChang bears big fruit
- President, opposition leader meet, with little progress
- Lee tightening discipline in officialdom amid series of corruption cases
- Row simmering over role of SNS in S. Korea

Home > National > Politics/Diplomacy
White House says S. Korea's improved missile capability to target only N. Korea




















