SEOUL, Nov. 19 (Yonhap) -- The military plans to hold field and simulated exercises in the tensely guarded western sea this week on the second anniversary of North Korea's shelling on Yeonpyeong Island, military officials said Monday.
The Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) will conduct a simulated command post exercise and field training under various scenarios of North Korean attacks on Yeonpyeong Island on Friday, the day when the island was hit by some 170 rounds of artillery two years ago. Two Marines and two civilians were killed in the unprovoked attack.
"Under the host of the JCS, this real-field exercise will be conducted on the day of the attack under various scenarios, such as fire power provocations or an unprovoked attempt to occupy the island, to simulate the combat procedures," a Marine Corps official said. "But (the military) will not conduct live-fire artillery drills."
This Friday marks the second anniversary of the North's bombing of Yeonpyeong Island, which lies just south of the tense Northern Limit Line (NLL), a de facto maritime border that the North refused to recognize.
The Ministry of Patriots and Veterans Affairs (MPVA) said it will hold a variety of commemorating events across the nation throughout this week, as a tribute of remembrance and honor to servicemen who fought for the country.
On the eve of the second anniversary, bereaved families and Marines plan to visit the national cemetery in Daejeon, 164 kilometers south of Seoul, to pay tribute to the deceased soldiers.
On Friday, the state veterans agency will hold a ceremony at a war memorial in Seoul, with about 4,000 participants, including families of the fallen soldiers, officers who fought the battle, senior government officials and civilians.
Photo exhibitions have been underway in major cities from earlier this month to run until the end of November, as part of efforts to raise security awareness among Koreans, the agency said.