(LEAD) China shows 'serious attitude' in enforcing U.N. resolutions against N. Korea
(ATTN: UPDATES with Chinese foreign ministry spokesman's quotes in first 5 paras; ADDS byline; CHANGES headline)
By Kim Deok-hyun
BEIJING, Sept. 24 (Yonhap) -- China's recent release of a lengthy list of weaponry-related materials banned from being exported to North Korea shows its "serious attitude" in enforcing U.N. Security Council resolutions against its wayward ally, Beijing's foreign ministry said Tuesday.
China's commerce ministry on Monday publicly released the 236-page list detailing "dual-use" materials and technologies prohibited from being exported to North Korea, citing their possible use in building weapons of mass destruction such as nuclear, biological and chemical weapons.
"We have already put in place a set of mechanisms to fulfill the Security Council resolutions," China's foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei told reporters when asked about the commerce ministry's release.
"Relevant departments in China announced the list of items banned from export to the DPRK (North Korea)," Hong said.
"The release is to fulfill the Security Council resolutions. It also speaks to the serious attitude of China to have rule-based and regulation-based administrations," Hong said.
Though traditionally North Korea's staunch ally and biggest trading partner, China has become more frustrated with the North's unpredictable behavior, particularly after its third nuclear test in February.
China voted in favor of the U.N. Security Council resolution that tightened sanctions to penalize the North for its nuclear weapons test, and it has since stepped up its diplomatic efforts to restart the long-stalled six-party talks aimed at ending the North's nuclear program.
"In order to implement relevant U.N. Security Council resolutions, the dual-use products and technologies related to weapons of mass destruction, which were included in the list, are banned from being exported to North Korea," the Chinese ministry said in a statement.
The ban took effect on Monday.
Meanwhile, North Korea's First Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan visited Beijing last week and called for a resumption of the six-party talks "without preconditions."
South Korea, the U.S. and Japan have insisted that a new round of six-party talks won't take place unless North Korea demonstrates its seriousness about denuclearization through concrete actions.
The off-and-on forum that involves the two Koreas, China, the U.S., Japan and Russia has been stalled since late 2008. North Korea has conducted three nuclear tests since 2006.