Go Search Go Contents Go to bottom site map

In 'open letter,' N. Korea urges inter-Korean dialogue

2014/01/24 08:01

SEOUL, Jan. 24 (Yonhap) -- North Korea called again for inter-Korean talks Friday, this time in the form of an "open letter."

   "It is our determination to create an atmosphere of reconciliation and unity, completely halt hostile military acts, realize the reunion of separated families and relatives, resume the tour of Mt. Kumgang and reenergize multi-faceted north-south cooperation and exchanges," the powerful National Defense Commission said in what it says is an open letter to South Koreans.

The move came after the South Korean government rejected the North's dialogue offer, with "unacceptable" pre-conditions attached, earlier this month.

Pyongyang demanded the cancellation of annual joint military drills between the U.S. and South Korea.

In its new overture, the North said it did not call on South Korea to stop "ordinary military drills."

   "It urged them to halt drills for a war of aggression to be staged against their compatriots in collusion with outside forces," the commission said, according to an English-version report by Pyongyang's official news agency, the KCNA.

(END)

Related Articles