Go Search Go Contents Go to bottom site map

(2nd LD) China summons N. Korean ambassador over nuclear threat: source

2014/04/08 17:06

BEIJING, April 8 (Yonhap) -- China recently summoned the North Korean ambassador in Beijing to warn Pyongyang against provocations after the North threatened to carry out another nuclear test, a diplomatic source said Tuesday.

North Korean Ambassador to China Ji Jae-ryong was summoned by China's foreign ministry and received a message that China would "clearly oppose any nuclear tests and medium- and long-range missile tests by North Korea," the source briefed on the matter said.

"Throughout various channels, including the summons of Ambassador Ji Jae-ryong, the Chinese side has repeatedly urged North Korea not to conduct a nuclear test," the source said on the condition of anonymity.

The source declined to elaborate further, including on when the North Korean envoy was summoned.

When asked about the recent summons of Ambassador Ji, China's foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei replied, "Under the current circumstances, we hope that all sides can do more things that are conducive to the stability of the Korean Peninsula and make their contribution to ease tensions." Hong was speaking to reporters during a regular press briefing.

North Korea has threatened to conduct a "new form" of nuclear test after the U.N. Security Council on March 27 condemned its latest missile launches amid ongoing joint South Korea-U.S. military exercises.

Tension on the divided Korean Peninsula rose significantly last week after North Korea conducted a live-fire drill near the tense Yellow Sea border. About 100 North Korean artillery shells fell in South Korean waters, prompting the South to return fire.

In the past few weeks, South Korea's military has also found three suspected North Korean drones that conducted reconnaissance missions on the South's military facilities.

North Korea did not elaborate but outside experts suspect that the "new form" of nuclear test may be based on enriched uranium. The North has so far conducted three nuclear tests widely believed to be based on plutonium.

In Washington on Monday, top nuclear envoys of South Korea, the U.S. and Japan held three-way talks, during which they discussed ways to prevent further North Korean provocations.

The agenda of the one-day meeting included contingency plans they would consider in case their efforts to contain North Korea fail.

After the trilateral talks, South Korea's chief nuclear envoy, Hwang Joon-kook, issued a stern warning against North Korea, saying, "If North Korea goes ahead with another nuclear test, we, along with the international community, will make it pay the price for that."

   Asked about the Washington meeting, the Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hong said, "The situation on the Korean Peninsula is tense."

   "We hope that all sides can keep in mind their big pictures and do things that are conducive to easing tension and resuming the six-party talks," Hong said.

kdh@yna.co.kr

(END)

Related Articles