Go Search Go Contents Go to bottom site map

Doosan Bears release injured Zach Lutz

2015/05/04 14:38

SEOUL, May 4 (Yonhap) -- The Doosan Bears released their slumping foreign player Zach Lutz on Monday.

The 28-year-old American became the first foreign player to be placed on waivers in the 2015 Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) League season.

Lutz signed a one-year, US$550,000 deal with the Bears in January. Prior to that, he played 22 Major League Baseball (MLB) games, all of them for the New York Mets, and spent the majority of his career in the minors.

Held back by a back injury, Lutz has appeared in only eight games for the Bears this year, going just 3-for-27 with a home run and three RBIs.

Lutz missed more than two weeks last month and returned on April 21. He then played two games before his back began acting up again.

"We expected Lutz to give our lineup a shot in the arm, but he's been slow in his recovery from the back injury," said manager Kim Tae-hyung. "We were concerned that he might get hurt again and we couldn't afford to wait any longer."

   The Bears said they're looking to add a new bat in Lutz's stead. KBO League clubs are permitted three foreign players each -- except for the expansion KT Wiz, who can carry four foreign players in their first two seasons -- and the Bears currently have two pitchers from overseas, Dustin Nippert and Yunesky Maya.

The Bears have done just fine without Lutz. They're in second place after Sunday's games at 16-10 and have the second-best team batting average at .282.

jeeho@yna.co.kr

(END)

angloinfo.com