S. Korea voices concerns over China's ban on Korean stars
SEOUL, Nov. 28 (Yonhap) -- A senior South Korean diplomat voiced concerns on Monday over Beijing's restrictions on Korean entertainers' performances in China, the foreign ministry here said as the countries remain at odds over Seoul's plans to deploy an advanced U.S. missile defense system.
"Ambassador for Public Diplomacy Cho Hyun-dong ... pointed out that there are worries over recently reported Chinese bans related to Korean Wave events," the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said of Cho's meeting with China's Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs Qian Hongshan in Yangzhou, China, earlier in the day.
The Chinese culture ministry's website has recently showed that no South Korean stars have been given permission to appear on Chinese entertainment programs since the beginning of October, apparently in retaliation of the planned deployment of the Terminal-High Altitude Area Defense system by 2017 despite Beijing's objections.
Cho reaffirmed to the Chinese official that despite many external and internal challenges facing the two countries, their bilateral relations would further intensify through joint efforts, according to the foreign ministry.
He also stressed South Korea's determination to build up cultural exchanges and cooperation with China.
Qian shared the importance of continued cultural cooperation and public diplomacy between the neighbors in his affirmation of ever-lasting mutual amity, the ministry noted.
The Cho-Qian meeting was held on the sidelines of the fourth South Korea-China public diplomacy forum on Monday. The annual forum was launched in 2013 in a bid to raise mutual understanding and intimacy between South Korean and Chinese people.