Go Search Go Contents Go to bottom site map

(LEAD) Veteran actor Cho Jae-hyun apologizes to sexual abuse victims

2018/02/24 19:12

Article View Option

(ATTN: ADDS details in last 2 paras)

SEOUL, Feb. 24 (Yonhap) -- Veteran actor Cho Jae-hyun apologized for past sexual abuse on Saturday after allegations against him surfaced in the #MeToo movement.

The apology came a day after an actress hinted in an online posting that Cho had sexually abused her.

The 53-year-old movie, stage and TV actor said in a statement that, "I confess. There has been something wrong with my life."

   Describing himself as a "criminal," Cho said he "bows his head in apology" to past victims of sexual misconduct.

Actor Cho Jae-hyun talks during a media event for the play "Grandpa Henry and I" in Seoul on Nov. 15, 2017. (Yonhap) Actor Cho Jae-hyun talks during a media event for the play "Grandpa Henry and I" in Seoul on Nov. 15, 2017. (Yonhap)

Earlier on Friday, Choi Yul, the actress, wrote on her Instagram account, "I've been waiting for your case to be exploded some day. That time has come earlier than I had expected. It is only the beginning. So much trash to dump."

   "I have more things to lose so I can't tell everything now. Until the day when all perverts are gone," she wrote in the post, which included the hashtags "metoo" and "withyou," along with a photo of the actor.

The post was widely circulated and created a huge stir online, but she deleted it and changed her account status to private. But she and the actor became the most trending search terms on local portal sites.

Cho is currently starring in tvN's medical thriller, "Cross," which airs on Mondays and Tuesdays.

The entertainment network, owned by CJ E&M, said Cho will step down from his role in the TV series "as soon as possible."

  (END)

angloinfo.com