Go Search Go Contents Go to bottom site map

Cheong Wa Dae declines to comment on Pompeo's possible trip to N. Korea

2018/06/29 11:42

Article View Option

SEOUL, June 29 (Yonhap) -- The presidential office declined to comment on a news report that U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo plans to visit North Korea next week for denuclearization negotiations, only saying it's keeping an eye on the situation while closely working with the U.S.

The Financial Times reported earlier that Pompeo canceled a planned July 6 meeting with India's foreign minister in order to make the trip to North Korea for what would be the first nuclear negotiations since the June 12 summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

"I don't have anything to say because this is a matter between the North and the U.S.," presidential spokesman Kim Eui-kyeom said during a press briefing. "But we're keeping an eye on negotiations while working closely with the U.S."

   Kim also said it's too early to talk about whether President Moon Jae-in will be attending an economic forum set for September in Vladivostok amid speculation that the leaders of the North, the U.S., China, Japan could also converge there for the forum.

"We're not in a stage to make a decision as it's linked to whether Chairman Kim Jong-un of North Korea would attend it," he said.

Kim said that President Moon, who has been on sick leave with flu, will be able to return to work on Monday.

(END)

angloinfo.com