|
|
|
Deaths from hunger rise across N. Korea: civic group
SEOUL, July 18 (Yonhap) -- A growing number of people have died of starvation across North Korea since late last month, a South Korean civic group working to defend rights of North Koreans said Wednesday.
"Famine-driven deaths began to occur across North Korea in late June," Good Friends said in a commentary carried in its weekly newsletter. "In some cities and counties in the provinces of North Pyongan, Ranggang, Jagang and South and North Hamkyong, the number of deaths is on the increase daily." In North Hamkyong Province, a daily average of ten people, mostly those aged between 40 and 65, died of starvation, the group added.
"The leading cause of death varied for each case, but most people are dying of famine-driven malnutrition and its complications," the commentary said.
The price of rice rose steadily this month, with North Korea facing a crisis of massive deaths from hunger, it said.
The group then called on the Seoul government and the international community to send more emergency food aid to help North Koreans, especially through the just-reconnected cross-border railways.
In mid-May, the two Koreas conducted the historic test of the railways, reconnected for the first time since the 1950-53 Korean War. But it remains unclear when regular train service might start.
(END)
|
| |
|
|