Home North Korea
North Korea
Twitter Send 2010/04/19 17:16 KST
N. Korea plans to produce own mobile phones to meet rising demand: report


SEOUL, April 19 (Yonhap) -- North Korea plans to begin producing its own mobile phones this year, a report said Monday, as demand for wireless communication in the isolated communist state is quickly rising.

   North Korea first launched mobile phone service in Pyongyang in November 2002, but banned it after a deadly explosion in the northern Ryongchon train station in April 2004.

   But in December 2008, the country introduced a 3G mobile phone network in a joint venture with Cairo-based Orascom Telecom, marking the first time that North Koreans had been allowed to use mobile phones since 2004.

   Orascom said last year the number of mobile phone subscribers stood at over 47,000. The Chosun Sinbo, a pro-North Korean newspaper published in Tokyo, said Monday the number is expected to reach as high as 600,000 this year, and that the regime is currently building a factory to produce its own phones.

   "Within half a year, handphone terminals will begin to be produced," the paper said. "For a certain time, parts will be imported from overseas and assembled, but eventually the prospect is that development will be self-sufficient."

   The report said equipment for mobile service has been set up in more than half of the cities and counties in the country, adding the service will also be used on major roads and railways.

   samkim@yna.co.kr
(END)