Home North Korea
North Korea
Twitter Send 2010/05/18 14:59 KST
S. Korea archaeologists return after excavating ancient palace in N. Korea


By Sam Kim
SEOUL, May 18 (Yonhap) -- A group of South Korean archaeologists returned home Tuesday after ending a months-long joint excavation of an ancient palace in North Korea, a Unification Ministry official here said.

   The 11 archaeologists had teamed up with their North Korean counterparts since March to excavate the remains of Manwoldae, a royal palace of the Goryeo Kingdom (918-1392), in the North Korean border town of Kaesong.
Data picture

The group decided to return about three weeks earlier than scheduled because enough progress was made, ministry spokesman Chun Hae-sung said, dismissing speculation that rising tension on the peninsula forced them to come back.

   The results of the excavation will be announced in a seminar later this year, he said. The palace was built over a century ago, and only the ruins of its foundations exist today.

   Relations between the Koreas have been deteriorating quickly since a South Korean naval ship sank near the Yellow Sea border with North Korea in March.

   Seoul officials suspect Pyongyang is the culprit behind the deadly tragedy and will announce the results of a multinational probe later this week.

   Since last week, South Korea has stopped funding government-level exchanges with North Korea and urged hundreds of companies to refrain from starting new ventures in the communist country.

   A joint industrial park in Kaesong is the only remaining joint economic venture between the divided states after Pyongyang ditched Seoul as a partner for cross-border tours to Mount Kumgang on its east coast in April.

   samkim@yna.co.kr
(END)