select languages
NorthKorea_titleN.K. NewsletterVantagePointlmenu_bottom
latestnewslatestnews RSS
NorthKorea
Home > NorthKorea
Seoul lifts total ban on visiting Kaesong complex in N. Korea
SEOUL, Dec. 20 (Yonhap) -- The unification ministry said Monday it removed a total ban on South Koreans' visiting to the Kaesong industrial complex near the inter-Korean border after the South's firing drill ended with no provocations from the North.

   The ministry imposed earlier in the day an all-inclusive travel ban on the complex against South Koreans as the tension between the two countries built up due to the South's live-fire drill.

   "The unification ministry decided to allow South Koreans to visit the Kaesong industrial complex at a limited level," the ministry said in a statement, citing the decision stemmed from consideration of difficulties of South Korean companies operating within the complex.

   According to the ministry, 466 South Koreans will visit the complex on Tuesday, while 438 will return to Seoul.

   The South Koreans to travel to the complex will take raw materials into the complex and completed products out of it and for work their shifts, the ministry said.

   Seoul has imposed a ban on South Koreans visiting the complex since Nov. 23 when the North shelled the South Korean island of Yeonpyeong, leaving four people dead, including two marines.

   An exception to the ban was put in place for people transporting raw materials and completed products in and out of the complex.

   As of Monday, 209 South Koreans were in Kaesong, while 14 were at the Mt. Geumgang resort on the east coast of the North, the ministry said.

   ksnam@yna.co.kr
(END)