SEOUL, Nov. 10 (Yonhap) -- North Korea's flag carrier has canceled an air route to Kuwait, Airline Route blog says, in what could be Pyongyang's latest attempt to prevent the news of popular uprisings in the Arab world from reaching the isolated country.
The move came less than six months after Air Koryo started a weekly direct flight service between Pyongyang and Kuwait City, Airline Route said Monday on its Web site, citing the carrier's planned winter operation.
In late May, Air Koryo announced the service on its Facebook page, adding that a large number of North Koreans work in the Middle East.
The North's airline has not yet commented on the reported cancellation of the service on its Facebook page, which was last updated late in October.
The reported cancellation came after North Korea banned about 200 of its citizens in Libya from returning home in an apparent move to keep news of the Arab Spring revolutions from seeping into the North.
The popular uprisings in the Arab world toppled longtime autocratic leaders in Tunisia and Egypt and resulted in the killing of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.
North Korea, which maintained close ties with Gadhafi's regime, has so far remained silent on Gadhafi's death.
The cancellation "appears to be aimed at blocking the trend of the Jasmine Revolution from being spread in North Korea," said Kim Yong-hyun, a North Korea expert at Seoul's Dongguk University, referring to the popular uprisings.
entropy@yna.co.kr
(END)
- N. Korean leader's Russian visit expected to focus on economic cooperation
- With talks, U.S. buys time to stop N.K. nuke, missile provocations: experts
- Co-hosting PyeongChang Olympics with N. Korea unlikely for political, logistical reasons
- Sung Kim, Obama's choice for stable management of NK, public diplomacy
- (News Focus) Stopgap reforms to follow N. Korean leader's China visit: experts
- N. Korea, China forecast to boost economic ties





















