select languages
NorthKorea_titleN.K. NewsletterVantagePointlmenu_bottom
latestnewslatestnews RSS
NorthKorea
Home > NorthKorea
N. Korea vows to bolster nuclear deterrent at any cost
SEOUL, May 10 (Yonhap) -- North Korea said Thursday that it will further strengthen its nuclear deterrent and other defense capabilities, the latest snub to international calls to give up nuclear and missile programs.

   "Our military and people will thoroughly safeguard our dignity and sovereignty by further boosting defense capabilities, including nuclear deterrent, at any cost," the North's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea said in a comment carried by the country's official Korean Central News Agency.

   North Korea has long used the term, "nuclear deterrent," to refer to its nuclear arsenal.

   The committee said the North won't be fooled by "temptations" of hostile forces that the North could receive benefits in return for abandoning nuclear programs and suspending missile launches.

   The North also rejected suggestion that other countries could launch North Korea's rocket on the North's behalf.

   The committee lashed out at South Korea over its recent accusations that the North wasted about $850 million in the failed rocket launch last month. South Korea said the impoverished country should have used the money to buy much-needed food for its 24 million people.

   The North claimed the launch was meant to put a satellite into orbit, but South Korea and the United States said it was a cover for testing the North's ballistic missile technology.

   The long-range rocket exploded soon after lift-off on April 13 and the U.N. Security Council swiftly condemned the launch.

   On Sunday, the North also vowed to continue to push strongly forward with its nuclear and rocket programs.

  (END)
HOMEtop