select languages
NorthKorea_titleN.K. NewsletterVantagePointlmenu_bottom
latestnewslatestnews RSS
NorthKorea
Home > NorthKorea
(LEAD) N. Korea reiterates war threat after South's military chief hints at pre-emptive attack
SEOUL, Feb. 8 (Yonhap) -- North Korea reiterated its threat of a "real war" on Friday after the South's top military officer hinted earlier this week at a pre-emptive attack if the communist nation shows a "clear intent" to use a nuclear weapon.

   "On the top of hatred and indignation, (we) cannot help but feel like laughing," the North's propaganda Web site Uriminzokkiri said in a commentary, referring to remarks made by Gen. Jung Seung-jo, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on Wednesday.

   During a parliamentary meeting, Jung said, "If (the North) shows a clear intent to use a nuclear weapon, it is better to get rid of it and go to war, rather than being attacked," indicating a pre-emptive strike.

   Referring to the South as a warmonger, the Web site's commentary continued, "They do not know what a real war is like and they would shudder after experiencing our military's spirit to attack in a single breath."

   "We can communicate no more with the herd of vicious traitors of the nation," it said.

   The North has intensified its war threats against the South after Seoul joined the United Nations Security Council in adopting a resolution designed to punish the communist country for its Dec. 12 launch of a long-range missile.

   Despite the North's claim that the launch was to put a satellite into orbit, the outside world believes it was a covert plan to test its ballistic missile technology.

   In reaction to the resolution adopted in January, the North disclosed its plan to conduct a "high level" nuclear test.

   South Korean and U.S. officials have said the country is technically ready to detonate a nuclear bomb at any time pending approval from North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

   Meanwhile, Uriminzokkiri said in a separate video clip report that South Korea's recent disclosure of the North's nuclear test tunnel layout is "fictional," and refuted two minutes of video footage and synthesized images of the tunnel in the film.

   The South's Defense Ministry released on Monday pictures of the North's nuclear test tunnel in the northern tip of the country, citing what it called a North Korean documentary aired by a North Korean TV station in September 2010.

   The captured images, presented by the ministry, showed that the horizontal spire-shaped tunnel dug into the 2,200-meter-tall Mt. Mantap was composed of three traps and nine barriers designed to prevent radioactive debris from reaching the surface.

   pbr@yna.co.kr
(END)
HOMEtop