SHENYANG, China, Feb. 19 (Yonhap) -- China is expected to start supplying electricity to North Korea's special economic zone in June as part of their joint development efforts there, a news report said Tuesday.
China-based Yangbian Internet Radio said the Chinese city of Hunchun, which is close to the border with the North, will make efforts to establish joint economic projects, including the electricity supply plan.
The news outlet said preparations for the plan to supply electricity to the Rason Special Economic Zone, located in the northern tip of North Korea, will be complete in June. The Chinese city also plans to build a bridge and road.
Since last year, Chinese media outlets have said the supply plan marks the first case of China's state-run electricity agency providing electricity to a foreign nation and aims to help build up infrastructure in the North Korean special zone.
Experts said China may continue its economic cooperation projects in the North's east coast region as they are part of the country's efforts to secure a commercial stronghold in the East Sea despite rising tension over the North's Dec. 12 nuclear test.
pbr@yna.co.kr
(END)
- All eyes on China for tougher sanctions against nuclear N. Korea
- Nuke test stirs debate on how to handle N. Korea's WMD program
- Obama's N. Korea policy put to crucial test again
- (NK N-test) N. Korea's nuke test jeopardizing inter-Korean relations
- Nuke test aims to solidify Kim's control, take upper hand in int'l arena
- N. Korea's nuke test presents major security challenge for Park, Obama
- N. Korea's nuke test feared to foil Park's overture of engagement: experts
- N. Korea's nuclear tension overshadows new gov't in Seoul
- N. Korea ramps up threat of another nuclear test
- U.N. action on N. Korea late yet meaningful: official
- In second term, Obama faces tough issues with Seoul
- Inter-Korean relations effectively severed under Lee administration

Home > NorthKorea




















