Go Search Go Contents Go to bottom site map

(2nd LD) S. Korean officials visit Kaesong Industrial Complex to inspect facilities

2013/08/17 21:27

SEOUL, Aug. 17 (Yonhap) -- A delegation of 30 South Korean officials made a cross-border trip to inspect facilities at a shuttered inter-Korean industrial park on Saturday, following a recent agreement between the two Koreas to resume its operations.

The officials' trip to the Kaesong Industrial Complex comes three days after the Koreas agreed to reopen the troubled factory park that had been closed since early April.

According to the unification ministry here, the 30-person delegation is made up of officials from the Kaesong Industrial District Management Committee, telecom company KT Corp., and two state-run companies: Korea Electric Power Corp. (KEPCO) and Korea Water Resources Corp.

They inspected the facilities for electricity, communication and water, which have sat idle for the last four months, and returned home at around 5 p.m. Saturday, through the Customs, Immigration and Quarantine office in Paju, about 50 kilometers northwest of Seoul.

The KT and KEPCO inspection teams were positive about the conditions of electrical wiring and internal telecommunications lines and their viability for normal operations when the complex reopens.

"There seems to be no flaws with the power supply in the drainage system, maintenance or the production lines," a KEPCO official said.

"I don't think we'll have any problems in the complex. Once the firms move back here, we'll check up on each of them again," an inspector from KT said.

On Monday, another delegation of 34 people, including environmental experts, will also visit the complex to check on infrastructure.

These trips will make it possible for South Korean companies to send their workers to the complex and start preparing for the resumption of production there.

The companies are also expected to head north soon to perform a checkup of their own on the facilities after the inspection team completes its job.

On Wednesday, the two Koreas agreed to reopen the Kaesong park, which was abruptly shut down in early April when the North pulled out its 53,000 workers hired by the 123 South Korean plants. Pyongyang had cited heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula, caused by the South's joint military exercises with the United States, as the reason for its action.

Under the recent agreement, the North pledged never again to close down the industrial park under any circumstances. The two sides, however, failed to agree on when to reopen the Kaesong complex, a result of the historic inter-Korean summit in 2000 and a symbol of inter-Korean reconciliation.

jeeho@yna.co.kr

(END)