Go Search Go Contents Go to bottom site map

S. Korean bizmen visit Kaesong for inspection

2013/08/22 14:11

PAJU, South Korea, Aug. 22 (Yonhap) -- South Korean businessmen operating firms in the joint factory zone in Kaesong crossed the border Thursday to inspect facilities that have remained idle for months amid high expectations for its resumption.

Nearly 200 people from 42 electronics and machinery firms, along with 58 government officials, crossed the military demarcation line through the land passage earlier in the day to visit the Kaesong Industrial Complex in the North Korean border town.

As a possible preparatory step to resume its operation, the company officials are inspecting facilities and are scheduled to return home at around 5 p.m.

This visit to the complex follows last week's agreement between the two Koreas to restart the factory zone.

The last time the operators visited the park was in mid-July when some 115 businessmen and workers traveled to the North to bring back finished products and raw manufacturing materials there.

The only remaining symbol of inter-Korean exchanges, home to 123 South Korean companies, was shut down in early April after the North pulled out all of its 53,000 workers amid heightened tensions following Pyongyang's third nuclear test.

On their way to the North, the businessmen expressed relief over the agreement between Seoul and Pyongyang to work on restarting the zone and urged the two countries to confirm the date of the park's resumption as soon as possible.

Under the recent agreement, the North pledged to never again close down the industrial park under any circumstances. Company sources said it may take up to two months before operations return to normal.

"Different from my last month's visit, this is to check the facilities there to prepare for the resumption. I feel much better now," said a company official.

"We have difficulties in business negotiations with potential buyers due to remaining uncertainties," another official said, calling on the government to help resolve remaining worries.

The second batch of businessmen who run textile firms plans to head toward the North on Friday for the inspection, with the company owners to begin maintenance work in Kaesong next week, according to the Ministry of Unification, which handles all inter-Korean affairs.

graceoh@yna.co.kr

(END)