Go Search Go Contents Go to bottom site map

(LEAD) S. Korea says N. Korea's threats 'unpardonable'

2015/03/03 17:26

SEOUL, March 3 (Yonhap) -- South Korea strongly criticized North Korea on Tuesday for a series of its military provocations and threats, saying the communist neighbor's recent attitude is "unpardonable."

   "(The government) expresses deep regret that North Korea launched missiles in a provocative way, criticized South Korea's president by name, and passes the responsibility for the current situation in the South-North relations (to the South), while not responding positively to our dialogue offer," the unification ministry said in a statement. "It's an unpardonable behavior."

   The statement came hours after Pyongyang's repeated condemnation of the South for its ongoing joint military drills with the United States.

The Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea said the South has blown a chance for bilateral dialogue and warned that the South will face "miserable consequences."

   "Now that the puppet warmongers are making an open challenge by kicking off the war drills against the North, together with the U.S., the opportunity of the North-South dialogue and improvement of relations have already passed and there will only be a final stand-off by force," the committee said in a statement. It is in charge of Pyongyang's daily relations with Seoul.

The warning came a day after a threat by the General Staff of the North Korean People's Army of "merciless strikes" against the U.S. and South Korea.

The North also fired two short-range Scud missiles into the East Sea in apparent protest against the Key Resolve and Foal Eagle exercises.

The unification ministry reiterated that Seoul would deal resolutely with the North's provocation.

It urged the North to stop its provocations and choose the path of developing inter-Korean relations, especially as the two sides celebrate the 70th anniversary of Korea's liberation from Japan's 35-year colonial rule. In June, the Koreas will also commemorate the signing of a historic summit deal in 2000.

"The government is in a position to actively support joint events, if planned, to mark the June 15 Joint Declaration and the Aug. 15 Liberation Day," a ministry official told reporters on background.

He said the two sides are also expected to resume various types of civilian contact in China in the coming weeks with the North showing signs of relaxing quarantine measures to stave off the inflow of the Ebola virus. North Korean officials have apparently refrained from traveling abroad amid a set of tough anti-Ebola measures.

"Traditionally, the South and the North have had brisk civilian contact over humanitarian aid in the early months of a year," said the official. "As it has done so far, the government will support humanitarian aid through civilian groups for North Korea."

   He added, however, that the Park Geun-hye administration is not considering large-scale food or fertilizer aid to the North.

"It is a matter that requires public consensus (in South Korea). For now, such assistance is not being considered either officially or unofficially," he said.

lcd@yna.co.kr

leechidong@gmail.com

(END)

angloinfo.com