S. Korea to suspend operation of Kaesong complex
SEOUL, Feb. 10 (Yonhap) -- South Korea said Wednesday it has decided to "completely" suspend the operation of a joint industrial complex in North Korea in response to the North's recent nuclear test and long-range rocket launch.
The Unification Ministry announced that it will stop the operation of the Kaesong Industrial Complex in the North's border city of the same name, the last remaining symbol of inter-Korean reconciliation.
Seoul's move is part of its "bone-numbing" measures against North Korea's nuclear test on Jan. 6 and its long-range missile launch earlier this week.
On Sunday, the North launched a long-range rocket carrying a satellite, which Seoul and Washington view as a cover for a banned test of intercontinental ballistic technology.
"The operation of the complex should not be used for North Korea's development of weapons of mass destruction at a time when the international community is pushing for tougher sanctions against the North," said a ministry official, asking not to be named.
A total of 124 South Korean companies are operating in the zone, some 50 kilometers northwest of Seoul, employing more than 54,000 North Korean workers to produce labor-intensive goods, such as clothes and utensils.
The complex, opened in 2004, has served as a major revenue source for the cash-strapped North, while South Korea has benefited from cheap but skilled North Korean labor. The South Korean firms annually provide about US$100 million in total to North Korean workers for income.
The suspension of the complex is Seoul's toughest measure. It cuts off North Korea's official remaining source of hard currency.
It has been recognized as an exception to Seoul's sanctions against Pyongyang designed to punish it for the sinking of a South Korean warship in 2010.
The official said that it is not the time to talk about when and whether operations at the complex can be resumed.
"Whether the park can be reopened will entirely hinge on North Korea," he said. "The North should first dispel the international community's concerns about its nuclear and missile developments, and provide a favorable atmosphere for our firms to normally operate factories."
In April 2013, the North shut down the complex for about four months, citing what it called heightened tensions sparked by a military drill between Seoul and Washington. In February of that year, the North conducted its third nuclear test.
The two Koreas agreed not to shut it down again "under any circumstances," when they decided to reopen it.
The ministry said it will complete the withdrawal of the remaining South Koreans there within the following days. Seoul has imposed an entry limit on its nationals to the factory zone since the North's fourth nuclear test.
The government also added that it will provide necessary support to the South Korean firms at the complex to help minimize their financial losses.