Go Search Go Contents Go to bottom site map

U.S. allowed no exports to N. Korea last year

2017/03/02 15:19

SEOUL, March 2 (Yonhap) -- The U.S. government did not allow exports to North Korea at all last year amid sanctions against the socialist country's nuclear and missile tests both on the country level and from the U.N., a U.S. broadcaster said on Thursday.

The U.S. Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) issued no green-lights for applications for exports to the North during the fiscal year 2016 which ran from Oct. 1, 2015-Sept. 30, 2016, Radio Free Asia said.

In the fiscal years 2014 and 2015, however, the agency in charge of controlling exports of dual-use items approved 21 and 18 applications worth US$4.36 million and $11.21 million, respectively, for exports to the North, the broadcaster said. Therefore, the broadcaster said, it's very unusual that the agency did not allow a single permit for exports to the North last year.

A BIS official said that pertinent to regulations, he could not tell whether such applications were denied by the agency or whether such applications were not made, according to the broadcaster.

Sanctions by the U.S. government and U.N. against the North's nuclear program apparently led to the 2016 record, the broadcaster added.

(END)

angloinfo.com