Stars of Asiad

(Asiad) Japanese sensation Hagino sets sights on Rio Olympics

2014/09/26 13:46

INCHEON, Sept. 26 (Yonhap) -- Japanese sensation Kosuke Hagino, who has cemented his status as the continent's best all-round swimmer at the ongoing Asian Games, said Friday he is looking forward to participating in multiple races at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

The young Japanese star, who is often compared to his idol and American Olympic champ Michael Phelps for his versatility, has won medals at every event he has participated in at the games, including four golds.

"My role model is Michael Phelps...I have not changed my mind (about participating at multiple events) at Rio," said Hagino, showing no sign of fatigue after his punishing schedule in Incheon.

Japanese swimmer Kosuke Hagino. (Yonhap file photo) Japanese swimmer Kosuke Hagino. (Yonhap file photo)

Hagino grabbed gold medals in the men's 200m individual medley, 200m freestyle, 4x200m freestyle relay, and 400m individual medley. He also bagged one silver and two more bronzes after breaking two Asian records.

"I did not set any particular goal (before coming to Incheon). I just tried my best at every event," Hagino said. "I am satisfied with winning four golds."

Hagino, who just turned 20 last month and is listed at 177㎝, has his sights set pretty high.

"I want to give myself about 50 or 60 points out of 100 since I can improve much more in terms of records," he said.

The young Japanese university student further said he still needs to work harder as he had failed to beat his personal best at every event.

"My speed is not good enough against Sun Yang," Hagino said of the Chinese star who beat him for the 400m freestyle gold in Incheon. "I need to develop speed in the middle of the 400m freestyle," Hagino said.

Hagino said young swimmers need to set their goals high to give their best at every race, but also advised them to have fun in the pool.

"The most important thing is to enjoy swimming," Hagino said.

khj@yna.co.kr

(END)