What's new

(LEAD) (Asiad) S. Korea bags two more taekwondo gold medals

2014/10/02 21:27

INCHEON, Oct. 2 (Yonhap) -- South Korea bagged two more gold medals from its traditional martial art taekwondo on Thursday, raising to five the total titles won so far at the Asian Games.

Lee Dae-hoon won his second straight gold in the men's under-63㎏, dominating Akkarin Kitwijarn of Thailand with an 18-2 victory. Lee became the third South Korean taekwondo fighter to win back-to-back Asian Games gold medals.

Earlier Thursday, Lee Da-bin captured gold in the women's under-62㎏, with an 8-7 win over Zhang Hua of China.

The third South Korean in the final on Thursday, Lee Won-jin in the women's under-67㎏, lost to Guo Yunfei of China 2-1.

With two titles, South Korea has won five gold medals in taekwondo, with one day of competition remaining.

Lee Dae-hoon completely overwhelmed his opponent in the final and led 11-1 after one round, thanks to three kicks to the head.

Taekwondo bouts are held over three rounds, each lasting two minutes, but a match is called when a fighter is up by 12 or more points after two rounds.

Lee was relentless in the second round and added seven more points to seal the deal. He won all of his four bouts by at least 12 points.

South Korea's Lee Dae-hoon, right, attacks Akkarin Kitwijarn of Thailand during their Asian Games taekwondo gold medal bout on Oct. 2, 2014. (Yonhap) South Korea's Lee Dae-hoon, right, attacks Akkarin Kitwijarn of Thailand during their Asian Games taekwondo gold medal bout on Oct. 2, 2014. (Yonhap)

Before the Asian Games, Lee had repeatedly said he didn't just want to win the gold medal but wanted to do it in a way that would entertain the crowds.

He certainly delivered the goods with a series of routs that featured some acrobatic attacks.

"I wanted to defend my gold medal and the final was quite gratifying," he said. "It would mean more to me if people here left the arena thinking they had fun watching taekwondo."

In addition to his two Asian Games gold medals, Lee Dae-hoon has also won two world championships and two Asian championships.

The major missing piece for a taekwondo "grand slam" is an Olympic gold. He took a silver at the 2012 Olympics.

"I'd love to complete the grand slam, but I don't yet have enough confidence that I can win the Olympic gold," he said. "I am going to bear down and train even harder than before."

Lee Da-bin had more drama in her final against Zhang. The two ended the opening round scoreless, and then started trading points in the second round. Zhang scored the first point, but Lee earned three quick points with a valid kick to the head.

Zhang, down 3-2, took a 5-3 lead before Lee went out in front again 6-5. A penalty to Zhang gave Lee another point, making it 7-5.

Zhang pulled into a tie at 7-7, but Lee clinched the gold medal with a last-gasp point.

jeeho@yna.co.kr

(END)