What's new

(2nd LD) (Asiad) S. Korea's Kim Tae-hun wins gold in men's -54㎏ taekwondo

2014/10/03 20:14

By Kim Han-joo

INCHEON, Oct. 3 (Yonhap) -- South Korean Kim Tae-hun captured the gold medal in the men's under-54㎏ taekwondo event at the Incheon Asian Games Friday, giving the host nation its sixth gold in the traditional Korean marital art.

Kim, the reigning world title holder in the division, defeated Chinese Taipei's Huang Yu Jen 14-3 in the final at Ganghwa Dolmens Gymnasium on Ganghwa Island, just northwest of Incheon.

Kim led the match throughout as he earned three points with three kicks to Huang's body in the first of the three two-minute rounds.

The gold medalist grabbed more points with another kick and a warning to Huang by a referee in the second round.

Kim stepped up his attack in the final round to finish with the 14-3 victory over Huang.

In an interview after the victory, Kim, who is ranked first by the World Taekwondo Federation, set sights on the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

"I want to keep my form and eventually grab the gold medal at the (Rio) Olympics," Kim said.

Kim also said he was not physically pressured about competing in front of the home crowd.

"I just wanted to focus on the match," Kim said.

Kim had earlier defeated Mongolia's Tumenbayar Molom 19-4 in the semis to earn his ticket to the final.

With 16 taekwondo gold medals decided in Incheon, South Korea, which has been dominant at the Asiads, grabbed six golds, two silvers and two bronzes, beating Iran's four golds, two silvers, and one bronze.

The country previously swept up seven gold medals in 1986 when taekwondo first became a medal sport. In 1998, South Korea won six men's and five women's titles and followed that up with 12 gold medals in 2002 and nine in 2006.

khj@yna.co.kr

(END)