go to the contents go to the footer

(Universiade) Chief organizer thanks citizens for 'civic consciousness'

2015/07/13 11:45

By Yoo Jee-ho

GWANGJU, July 13 (Yonhap) -- The mayor of the main host city of the 2015 Summer Universiade on Monday thanked citizens and volunteers for their efforts to make the competition a success.

At a media briefing, Yoon Jang-hyun, mayor of Gwangju and also co-president of the Universiade organizing committee, said the event couldn't have run so smoothly without the help of everyone involved.

The Universiade began on July 3 and will conclude on Tuesday.

"I am actually not in a position to evaluate the Universiade; I am supposed to be evaluated (by the media)," Yoon replied when asked to comment on the event. "All I can say is I'd like to thank the many residents of Gwangju and volunteers for their mature civic consciousness, their spirit of sharing, their sense of camaraderie and their generosity."

Yoon also noted that Gwangju was able to overcome the scare of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), a viral disease whose outbreak has claimed more than 30 lives in the country since May and has prompted some athletes to withdraw from the Universiade. Though Gwangju has received some monsoon-season rains during the competition, Yoon noted that the impact on the event was limited.

"I hope everyone who has been involved in the Universiade will remember Gwangju fondly," the mayor said. "I hope to make this into an open and engaging city."

jeeho@yna.co.kr

(END)