2012/09/05 20:04 KST
Article View Option

Penalties on players in badminton match-throwing scandal reduced

SEOUL, Sept. 5 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's top sports governing body said Wednesday that it has further reduced penalties on badminton players involved in a match-throwing scandal at the London Olympics.

   The Korea Olympic Committee (KOC) said that the four female players -- Jung Kyung-eun, Kim Ha-na, Ha Jung-eun and Kim Min-jung -- will be suspended from international play for one year, removing an additional six-month domestic suspension they received from the Badminton Korea Association last month.

   They are also required to submit written pledges not to get involved in similar cases, added the KOC.

   The four badminton players were disqualified from the Olympics along with a Chinese pair and an Indonesian team after deliberately making unforced errors in apparent attempts to lose group stage matches.

   The South Korean badminton body first handed down a two-year ban from both international and domestic stages, while two national team coaches received lifetime bans. But they appealed the earlier rulings and the players are now able to compete at domestic tournaments and the penalties on the coaches were reduced to a two-year suspension.

   The KOC said that it demanded the badminton association map out measures and educate its players to prevent further non-sportsmanship scandals.

   brk@yna.co.kr
(END)